Friday 17 February 2012

KLMUN 2012: UNDC

Delegates from Nexus include:
Carlos> Bosnia-Herzegovina
Victoria Hoo> Guatamela
Teh Wen Wen> Iran

Jacelyn> Morocco
Ng Wi Kiat> Switzerland

What happened?  
The First Day

During the opening speeches, to keep track of my allies and adversaries, I made a table with their respective country's position on the topics of the UNDC based on the delegates' speeches. However, in the end, it turned out to be an exercise in futility because most countries (with a few exceptions) had the same view on the topics. Those who had differing views, merely wouldn't  participate in the resolution.

When lobbying started, I wandered around for a while, trying to decide which resolution formation I would join - eventually I realised that since Morocco seemed to be focused and adamant about nuclear disarmament I should join that resolution formation.

I went through the draft resolution (prepared by the delegate of Germany) and offered suggestions and opinions about the clauses with other delegates. That pretty much took the rest of the time.  The day ended with a roll call and that was it. It was a generally uneventful day.
~Written by Jacelyn~

Below are some of the pictures taken in UNDC:
 Working on the resolution

 Organising their clauses

The Second Day
The 2nd day of KLMUN got off to a slow start, after roll call we continued lobbying for our resolution. I, as the delegate of Iran, decided to concentrate on the resolution relating to the establishment of a Nuclear-Weapon-Free-Zone in the Middle East. And we spent most of the morning perfecting the resolution.

Things got a little more interesting when the debates started. The delegate of UK submitted a resolution to on implementing the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention, which was quite flawed to be honest, and therefore it failed. After lunch, our resolution was up next to be debated. I have to admit I was rather disappointed that the delegate of Israel did not respond to my speech as much as I thought he would considering the tensions between Iran and Israel right now. But our resolution passed! So hooray! The last resolution we debated on was about eliminating the illicit trading of illicit small arms and light weapons by the delegate of USA, which also got passed.

All in all, it was more eventful than the first day, although I felt that the UNDC delegates this time round of KLMUN was not as enthusiastic as last year’s. Even so, I hope it will be a better round of debates tomorrow. 
~Written by Wen Wen~
Wi Kia, Wen Wen, Victoria and Jacelyn discussing

 Wen Wen giving a speech

Jacelyn giving a speech


0 comments:

Post a Comment