Saturday 11 February 2012

SEASAC MUN: The final day


As always the final day is frenetically putting the final touches to resolutions, exploring the finer points of debate, preparing for the Emergency topic and most importantly superlatives!
Find out what our delegates had to say in summation :)

Idura:
Today was a very productive day. The committee of peace and security managed to pass 2 of the 3 resolutions submitted , including the one for which I, Mongolia, co-submitted. The terrible stage fright that had somewhat prevented me from really giving it my all yesterday had lessened and I was ready to get debating. I also believe that the speeches I made today is better than those of yesterday as I do feel more comfortable. After the debates in the committees finished, all the delegates was asked to go the theater for a General Assembly.

I was shocked to find out that I was the only representative of Mongolia for the conference this time. Going back to the GA, the emergency topic given in my opinion is a retelling of the assassination of Archduke Frank Ferdinand by changing it to the assassination of the Iranian president and serves as a catalyst of WWIII. I, as Mongolia, co submitted a resolution with China and a few other countries, unfortunately our resolutions weren't discussed due to time constraints. Despite that, attending the conference was a really good experience and has brought about many beautiful memories. I've grown attached to the state of Mongolia and is quite saddened by the fact that I'm no longer its "delegate". Ms Suzy serves as a big help for all of us, without her none of this would have happened. That being said I would like to say thank you to Ms Suzy for bringing us here and teaching us all we need to know regarding MUN.

Lisa:
The last day of the conference was very productive and we passed 2 of the 6 solutions that we wrote. One of which I co-submitted. As we debated the resolutions, the delegate of the USA wanted to take the delegate of Chile's speaking and voting rights away, as well as declare war on DPRK (North Korea) Spain and Syria. Lucky for them, the motion did not pass and as a result, Spain wanted to take away USA's speaking and voting rights. Unfortunately this motion did also not pass. Put together the debate was at times serious, but also filled with humour at certain times. The delegates, including myself, were in high spirits even though we didn't have enough time to sleep the night before due to arriving late to the hotel. It was an amazing experience and I hope to go to the next conference in Bangkok as well!

After we finished our own committee's debates, we had an emergency topic. Hypothetically the leader of Iran had been assassinated and Iran accused Israel. Israel denied all the accusations and the two countries were readying their nuclear weapons and were almost starting a war. The EU were behind their Israeli friends, claiming that they were innocent and were prepared to take military action if Iran fired the first shot on Israel. Of course, DPRK seeing that countries were readying their nuclear weapons, readied theirs too which caused South Korea to also ready theirs. So, it was quite hectic, even for a hypothetical global issue. Not to mention the fact that World War III could start anytime. So, Timor Leste gathered as many neutral countries that they could, especially the countries from the ASEAN bloc, and together with Argentina created a resolution to resolve the issue in peace and preventing war. However, our resolution did not get read out aloud and no-one in the Assembly knew about it but us. We went through 2 crappy (according to us anyway) resolutions which one passed due to a 'heartfelt' speech from the UK.

After the resolution was passed and the Assembly was finished and closed, Danny realised that thanks to that resolution, we hypothetically started a Nuclear War and World War III just after Danny got his committee to agree that Timor Leste gets the whole Island making Timor Leste a potential target for attack. After realising this, we further realised that Timor Leste's military forces are incredibly weak and very small. Basically meaning that we couldn't even defend ourself if we were to be attacked.  We were quite sad when we recognised that fact, after all the hard debating that we did to improve the situations in Timor Leste. Overall this was an incredible day and I had loads of fun (despite the fact that my feet were totally killed by my heels in the second hour of the debate).

Jo Yee:

No words could describe how the last day of my first MUN felt. Meeting exuberant individuals from all over South East Asia and debating about global issues is definitely an experience to be cherished. From being totally clueless on the first day, I ended my trip with a new range of vocab consisting of P.O.I.’s, P.O.C.’s, abstain, for/against speeches, clauses and so much more, it definitely amazed me how much these two days could change me. It makes me believe that us students DO have the power to make a positive change in the world someday where young minds will fuel the generation of tomorrow. Hence, I look forward to the next MUN conference that will further nurture my inclination towards global issues.

0 comments:

Post a Comment