Friday 10 February 2012

SEASAC MUN: The first day

 Danny Shariat Timor-Leste Political Committee:
The first day of the SEASAC Jakarta Mun was a great experience. There were many, very, memorable experiences in it and it is also the first meeting where I submitted a resolution. The delegate of North Korea created one of the most unusual amendments. So far my committee has only passed one out of the three resolutions put through. I really enjoyed the first day and I look forward to what tomorrow has to bring.

Loh Joh Yee Timor Leste Human Rights Committee:
Today in MUN, I represented the delegation of Timor Leste in the committee of Human Rights. I chose Human Rights as my preferred committee as I'm inclined towards the welfare of human beings. This being my first day and experience in MUN was a whirlwind as I'm surrounded by people my age who know lots bout lots. Its fascinating to see a variety of students coming from different backgrounds coming together in the pursuit of knowledge. I personally felt very lost in the first half of the day as I was not familiar with some terms and its procedures but by the end of the day, I felt more comfortable as it is no longer a foreign subject to me anymore. My target for tomorrow is to go up to the podium at least one last time to debate as to keep the discussion within the committee fruitful. My top tip is simply to have the confidence to mix around with other delegates as we could combine great ideas that can be used in creating the resolution.

Lisa Thimister Timor Leste GA2:
In this SEASAC MUN Conference I represent Timor Leste in General Assembly 2, which focused on the Social, Cultural and Humanitarian aspect of the committee. I chose this assembly because the topics that were going to be discussed sounded very interesting and therefore I decided to choose that as my preferred committee. The first day we introduced our countries and started lobbying and forming groups to write resolutions. In our assembly we had to write two resolutions for each problem, so it took quite some discussing to get the resolutions right. I have done this before so this time I actually felt quite confident in myself and I really enjoyed it. I hope that I will be able to talk more and be even more engaged in the debate. My top tip would be to have confidence in yourself and really talk to other people and mingling with the other delegates.  

Idura Mongolia Peace & Security :
Today was the first day of SEASAC MUN. I'm currently representing Mongolia in the Peace and Security committee. I chose to join this committee as most of the issues being discuss are issues that are very relevant to the wellbeing of Mongolia. For example, one of the issues discussed was international organized crimes, and though unfortunate, the sad truth is that citizens of LEDC countries such as Mongolia itself are often engaged in such despicable activities. I believe that the only reason this is happening is due to the lack of funding to provide employments and good education, thus the citizens of LEDC countries such as Mongolia itself, has no choice but to commit such horrific crimes to earn a living. Not only that, the topic of Peace and Security in the South East China Sea was also being discuss, and though Mongolia is not directly affected, any possible restriction impose on China relating to hydrocarbons and access to the sea could cause prices to increase, and as Mongolia relies heavily on China for import and export, if this does happen then Mongolia would fall into a great depression. We did lobbying today after giving opening speeches, I was very impress at the delegate of Haiti for his short but very concise speech. That being said I decided to create a resolution with him addressing the issue of International Organized Crimes on the grounds that we are LEDC countries that are most vulnerable to these crimes. I hope that tomorrow would be a better day and I also hope that some resolutions would pass as all three resolutions put forward today was rejected. My tip for any delegates going for an MUN conference, before making a for or against speech, make sure you at least write down your main points on a piece of paper as this will allow you to be more concise, especially for a newcomer like myself, trying to do an impromptu is a terrible idea unless you have full confidence that you can present a speech without stopping every few seconds to think of the next think you're going to say.

0 comments:

Post a Comment