Saturday 19 February 2011

KLMUN 2011: Delegate Commentaries

You Zhen from Year8
MUN has been an awesome experience so far! Two days have passed extremely quickly! On the first day, I was overwhelmed by how many people there were in the General Assembly! There were about 112 delegates in there! So for the first two days, I was pretty much speechless. I was too nervous, to get up and look the 112 delegates in the eyes! But for the last day, I am well prepared! I am filled with confidence! I am ready to face the 112 delegates! *gulp* My advice for the first-timers is to be always well prepared! Make sure that you are never nervous! And practice, practice, practice!
   
Kai Song Year 10
Hi! This was my first MUN conference and I was the delegate for Thailand in the Human Rights Council.  The first day in our council was very much about opening speeches and lobbying.  Personally, I think my opening speech was OK as I prepared it well in advance.  However, it was somewhat awkward for me in the lobbying part as I didn't prepare a resolution beforehand unlike other delegates. Preparing a resolution in advance is something I would recommend doing. The second day was the most interesting part of our conference dominated by debates.  Many delegates had interesting and creative ideas to share and I learnt many things from other delegates. It's relaxing, fun and humorous and I really enjoyed. I think that for future MUNers, it's crucial that you prepare your speech beforehand and practice well to ensure that you present it with confidence. It's also important to research everything related to your country and know your facts well to prevent being bombarded or condemned by others. It can be quite embarrassing if you make a wrong statement about your country.  I really enjoyed the KLMUN conference and hope to participate again in the future.


Danny from Year 8
This year's conference was serious, interesting and the language was complex; just the way I like it. This MUN was the perfect place for me to talk, debate and enjoy myself. The only possible way to enhance the experience was if I had joined a smaller committee so I could debate more, because the chair wanted everyone of the 112 delegates to speak. So sometimes the amendments I sent or the POIs I requested weren't recognized, but that is what comes with joining a large committee like the General Assembly. My advice to first-timers is to go through the first day focusing mainly on understanding how the MUN conducts it's conferences; the roles and procedures, then the next day, if the nervousness leaves you (which it should) you can make POIs and send amendments all you want with extreme confidence.

 
Nicole Year 10
MUN is really interesting and it really opened my perspectives on different topics of the world. The first 2 days were fine but I thought that the 2nd day was much more interesting due to the fact that the debating began. The first day was all about opening speeches and discussing possible resolutions. I think that the first day is more about meeting new friends and getting to know each other; whilst the second day was more lively with aggressive debates. For future MUNers, this is definitely very interesting. As long as you have researched your topics and the country that you are representing thoroughly, you'll have a great time in the conferences. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment